Monday, February 21, 2011

I want to be a Superhero

Mr. Moxie wanted to watch a movie entitled "Kick Ass". To be honest this did not sound the slightest bit appealing but in fairness for putting up with my ranting about welfare (day in and day out - see other blog "Welfare Reform") I decided to indulge his request.

Homerun! I LOVED this movie. It was an encapsulation of everything I am striving to do short of actually putting on costume and seeking trouble that is. The main character is a geeky loser who is bullied or otherwise ignored by the majority of the general public. Rather than plotting revenge and blowing up the school or something of the like. He decides to become a crime fighter, a superhero with no skills and who does not back down even when he is getting his butt handed to him.

The movie has other stories running through it but the general theme of taking matters into your own hands rather than accepting things the way other people have.

My favorite scene is when he is defending a guy being beaten up by three other dudes. At one point he is crouched over the guy trying to prevent any further blows when the leader asks him, "why are you getting your ass kicked for some guy you don't even know, what are you stupid? What's wrong with you?" The geeky guy responds., " What's wrong with me? It's three against one! What's wrong with me? There are people surrounding us who are just watching this happen and you are asking what's wrong with me?"

That for me sums it all up. He was willing to be pummeled or even killed to stand for the principle. That is what made him a superhero to me. I hope I can be just like him. Wanna join? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment